5th Grade Transition to MS
The School Counseling Office provides
opportunities to help the 5th grade students make a successful transition to
the middle school. These opportunities include:
• A visit from the school counselor and 6th grade
students to each elementary school to provide information about teaming, schedule,
academics, as well as extracurricular activities and opportunities. An
opportunity is also provided for students to ask questions.
• Each elementary school visits the middle school
for a guided tour of the building, along with the experience of purchasing and
eating lunch in the middle school cafeteria. This experience also
provides another opportunity for students to ask questions and complete a
survey about their expectations and concerns for the upcoming year.
• School Counselors meet with elementary teachers
to discuss student needs for the upcoming year.
• Each grade level is assigned a School Counselor
who follows the students through their middle school career.
• There is an opportunity for all parents of
incoming 6th graders to attend an informational meeting about the middle school