Updated Plan for Spectators at Sporting Events
Based on the changing rules surrounding spectators at athletic events, Palmyra Area School District has updated our plan to allow a limited number of additional invited guests to our venues. Our first priority continues to be for our student athletes, cheerleaders and musicians to be able to participate, followed by allowing family members to spectate as space allows. With the exception of our marching band this week, these changes will go into effect immediately.
PLEASE NOTE: THE INCLUSION OF SPECTATORS THAT WOULD CAUSE TOTAL ATTENDANCE TO EXCEED THE 25/250 OR 50% GUIDELINE IS IMMEDIATELY VOID IF THE THIRD CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS PLACES A “STAY” ON THE GOVERNOR’S ORDERS.
Palmyra Area School District is extremely grateful to be holding face to face learning and extracurricular activities for our students. As you are well aware, all of the planning and work that has allowed this to happen has been done according to our health and safety plans, which follow mandates, orders, and guidance from the governor, the departments of health and education, and the CDC. Since the start of the pandemic in March, our district has committed to safety efforts as our first priority.
In order to hold extracurricular events and interscholastic athletics in a safe and orderly manner, we are going to need the cooperation of parents, families and invited guests to prevent the delay or cancellation of events, sanctioning of teams or the school district and its personnel. Thank you in advance for your willingness to work together with us to provide safe venues for our student athletes and musicians to participate in their seasons.
Following are the parameters for events held at Palmyra Area School District facilities:
- Everyone attending the sporting event, including coaches, officials, athletes on the sidelines, staff, and spectators, age 2 and older must wear face coverings (masks or face shields), unless they are outdoors and can consistently maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet; however, invited guests are encouraged to maintain their facial covering throughout the entire event. Facial coverings must be worn while entering/exiting or moving around the outdoor facility.
·Six feet social distancing is required.
- Due to staffing constraints, we prefer not having to address “face covering or social distancing” situations. However, attendance at any event is subject to appropriate behavior and adherence to our health and safety plans. Please adhere to these guidelines in order to protect the health and safety of all participants. Anyone who refuses to adhere to our guidelines will be asked to leave. We greatly appreciate your cooperation.
- Athletes are not required to wear face coverings while actively engaged in workouts and competition that prevent the wearing of face coverings, but must wear face coverings when on the sidelines, in the dugout, etc. and anytime 6 feet of social distancing is not possible.
- In order to maintain social distancing in accordance with our health and safety plans, for an outdoor event inside the stadium, Palmyra Area School District will permit 2 invited guests for each home team member, member of the Palmyra Cougar Marching Band (pep band for 9/25/20) and to each cheerleader. Visiting team spectators will be addressed on a sport-by-sport basis.
- For home football games, the Palmyra Area High School Marching Band will perform their show pregame for their invited family members to watch. Following the band’s performance, those family members will exit the stadium. For the Friday, September 25th football game a pep band will remain at the contest to perform.
- In order to maintain social distancing in accordance with our health and safety plans, for an indoor event, Palmyra Area School District will permit 2 invited guests for each home team member. If space allows, the athletic director will consult with the opposing team regarding permitted visitor invited guests (x2). In order to maintain social distancing in accordance with our health and safety plans, facial coverings are required of all invited guests throughout an entire indoor event.
- In order to prevent potential community-spread, at no time shall invited guests approach any student participant, staff members or invited guests from visiting teams before, during or after an event.
- There will be no admission for the general public for fall athletic events. Attendance at these events is for student participants, their families and staff members/game help only.
- There will be no admission fee to contests from September 25, 2020 - October 2, 2020 for invited guests.
- At Palmyra Area School District our focus always has been and always will be on our students. We know that attendance at these events by our student section is an important part of our school experience, however, in order to accommodate families, we are unable to accommodate a student section on campus at this time.
- Due to heavy restrictions on food service, there will be no concessions this year. We ask that all invited guests not bring food or drink into any athletic facility.
- Palmyra Area School District encourages fans who want to view the events to take advantage of our live streaming option.
- Other school districts may have other rules and limits for spectators in place. Please be sure you understand the rules at other school district’s events should you choose to be a spectator at an away event when permitted.
Further guidance on logistics will be provided to athletes and their families by the athletic department.